Frequently Asked Questions
- Are my deposits FDIC insured?
- How can I open an account with Sterling Bank & Trust?
- How do I send you the money to open an account?
- How do you wire money to Sterling Bank & Trust?
- Can I go to any Sterling branch and get the same products and rates?
- How quickly will I receive a Deposit Account Application after I contact you?
Online Banking - General and Technical
- What is Online Banking and the advantage of banking over the Internet?
- What software and hardware do I need to do my banking on the Internet?
- Where do I get a Login ID or Password for Online Banking?
- What accounts can I access using Online Banking?
- How secure is Online Banking with Sterling Bank & Trust?
- Where can I get help if I have trouble with Online Banking?
- What limits are in place in the system to safeguard my money?
- What do I do if I forget my Login ID and/or Password?
- I keyed in the wrong password three times and now I can't get into Online Banking. What should I do?
- Can I use Quicken, QuickBooks or Microsoft Excel with Online Banking?
- I am a Quicken user and I received an error when trying to export my history from Online Banking into my Quicken Software. What do I do?
- How much history is maintained on my accounts?
- How far back can I go to look at monthly account statements?
- May I order checks from any vendor?
- Can I bank by phone?
- What are eStatements?
- How do I sign up for eStatements?
- Can I review or change my selections for receiving eStatements?
- Why is the bank using online banking risk tools?
- What types of transactions are reviewed as part of these risk tools?
- What happens if one of my transactions needs to be reviewed?
- What causes a transaction to be reviewed?
- What if I'm new to the system, how does the system flag unusual activity without the history of my behavior?
- Are these security tools a free service?
- What if I do not want to be contacted, can I opt out of this service?
- Who do I contact if I have questions about online banking security?
- How do I learn more about the ACH rules?
- How do I use Touch ID to access my mobile banking?
Online Bill Pay
Mobile Banking FAQ
- How do I apply for Voice Banking?
- Is there a charge for this service?
- What if I have questions about Voice Banking?
- What transactions and information can I obtain from Voice Banking?
- Is Voice Banking secure?
- When can I access Voice Banking?
- What is Direct Deposit?
- How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?
- How long will the Direct Deposit stay in place?
- What else can be done through Direct Deposit?
- What is an ATM card?
- How do I apply?
- How soon will I receive my ATM card?
- Does this service impact any other accounts or services with Sterling Bank & Trust?
- What if my card is lost or stolen?
- Where is my card accepted?
- If I have a Sterling ATM, may I apply for a MasterMoney™ Card?
- Are there any limits on the use of my ATM card?
- What is a MasterMoney™ Card?
- How can I apply for a MasterMoney™ Card?
- How long will I have to wait for my card?
- Where can I use the card?
- Is cash back available?
- What are my cash and retail purchase limits?
- What if my card is lost or stolen?
- Am I charged interest on purchases?
- How do I change my PIN?
Certificate of Deposit (CD)
- What is a Certificate of Deposit (CD)?
- What is the minimum amount I need to open a CD?
- What happens if I have to withdraw my money from a CD before it matures?
- What happens when my CD matures?
- How will I know when my CD matures?
Money Market (MMDA)
- What is a Money Market Deposit account (MMDA)?
- What is the minimum amount I need to open a MMDA?
- What happens if my balance falls below $500.00?
- How do I withdraw funds from my MMDA and are there any limits on the number of times I can withdraw money during the statement cycle?
- May I add money to my MMDA after I open it?
Sterling Eagle™ Checking and Sterling Freedom™ Checking
Sterling Hassle Free Switch Kit
- What is the Sterling Switch Kit?
- Will I have to pay any fees to use the Sterling Switch Kit?
- What do I do after I have printed the letters?
- What if I don’t have my Sterling Bank & Trust account number?
- Can I close multiple bank accounts?
- What if I forget my Password?
- Who do I call if I have questions?
- How does Sterling Bank & Trust protect my personal information?
- Is there a way I can verify my direct deposit request has been processed?
- What is an automatic bill payment (ACH debit)?
- How do I add a new automatic bill payment?
- When will my automatic bill payment start?
Deposits held by Sterling Bank & Trust are FDIC insured, subject to FDIC limitations. Our FDIC insurance certificate number is 32232.
Just visit one of our branches to complete a Deposit Account Application or request an application online.
Funds may be sent either by check or by wire transfer.
Bank Name "Sterling Bank & Trust, FSB" The Bank where the wire is being sent
ABA# "272471849" All banks have a routing # which would be referred to as the ABA#.
Originator's Bank The customer's bank
Account # The beneficiary's account #
Name and Address of Account Being Credited To
Final Credit To If the first beneficiary is sending a wire to another company or individual.
Account # The account # of the second beneficiary.
The same products and rates are available at all local branches of Sterling Bank & Trust.
Account applications and other documents requested should be received within 3-5 business days.
ONLINE BANKING - General and Technical
Sterlingbank.com is a convenient and secure way to access your accounts anytime; anywhere you have access to the Internet. Using an Internet browser you can view your account information via the Internet.
Online Banking allows 24 hour access for more timely account information and no more waiting for month end statements. You can pay bills and transfer funds between your Sterling accounts. You can verify checks and deposits that have cleared your account, ATM withdrawals, automatic payments and deposits, and other account activity. With a few clicks, you can request a stop payment and proof of payment plus apply for other Sterling services and products and even reorder checks all online.
You will need a PC, laptop, tablet or Smart Phone. In addition, you will need: internet access and a web browser with 128-bit encryption. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Mozilla Firefox are available with this feature. Please see our Security Page for more details.
If you have not done so and you are a current Sterling customer, you need to enroll for Online Banking in order to gain access to your accounts. For deposit accounts, take advantage of our automated online banking enrollment. You will enter the required information and receive a temporary password. Click here to enroll. For business deposit accounts or loan customers, please visit one of our branches and complete an application. Once we process your enrollment, a welcome letter with instructions and your temporary Password will be mailed to you so that you may begin using Online Banking.
You can access Sterling checking accounts, money market deposit accounts, savings accounts, certificate of deposits, or view mortgage loan information.
You may call your local branch during normal business hours, see our Branch Locator Page for hours of operation. You may also email your local branch office for assistance. Please fill out our Branch Customer Support Form and a branch representative will contact you via email or by phone by the next business day. Or, you can send us a Secure Message from the Messages option located in the Services Menu.
You will have your own Login ID and private password to access your online account. In order to assure privacy, you must keep your password confidential and do not write it down where another person can access it. And, for your security you will be asked to register your computer by receiving a secure access code to enter.
To reset your password or to request a new temporary password, please call Branch Operations at 1-800-944-2265 during bank hours and we will be happy to assist you.
Or, at the screen where your password is entered, follow the instructions for forgetting your password.
For your protection, we have limited the number of login attempts to three. If you have exceeded your three attempts, please call 1-800-944-2265 during bank hours to have your Online Banking access reset.
Yes, you can export posted transactions from your Online Banking history to all of the above. Click here for easy to use instructions.
Quicken and QuickBooks users who are receiving an error (OL-202, OL-231, OL-232, OL-248, OL-249, or OL-297) when using online banking can find a resolution at
. There is a mandatory update to the Quicken 99 or higher software for successful export of online banking history to your Quicken or Quick Books software.
If you prefer to call an Intuit Support Representative, Call 1-800-4INTUIT (446-8848).
You'll be able to view up to the last 365 days of history. Or, you can view your statements online.
You can view up to the last 24 months of eStatements. If you would like a copy of an older statement, please call Branch Operations at 1-800-944-2265 during bank hours.
Our online check-ordering system is coming soon. In the meantime, we recommend you contact your local branch to order checks from Deluxe.
Absolutely. If you are away from your computer or cannot get on the Internet you can transfer funds between Sterling accounts, get account information and more. Just call 1-888-776-BANK (2265) to access your account information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Instead of receiving paper statements in the mail, you will view an electronic image of your statement in your online banking account. Each statement cycle, when your statement is ready to be viewed, you will receive an email notification from us informing you that your statement is ready for viewing. We will never send your statement in the email. You must log in to your online banking account to view your statement.
- Log in to your Online Banking account.
- Select Delivery.
- Select the methods for the accounts displayed.
- Read disclaimer and select submit.
Yes. At any time you can change your selections for eStatements. Please keep in mind that depending on the date you change your selection, it may take one statement cycle for your changes to be in effect.
Sterling uses these tools to protect you and your money. We can analyze transactions to identify and suspend suspect transactions, giving us the ability to verify that you and not someone else pretending to be you, initiated a transaction.
Our tools monitor:
- ACH Origination Transactions
- Domestic Wire Transfers
- External Transfers
If your transaction is flagged for review, you will receive an online alert notification that the transaction requires further review by a bank representative. Before the transaction is completed, we will review it and may contact you by phone using the contact information you have provided to us. If we contact you, a bank representative will ask you a few questions to confirm you have authorized the transaction; if you have, we'll release the transaction to be processed.
Transactions that do not fit in your normal online banking pattern will need to be reviewed, for example:
- Drastic changes in the dollar amount of the transaction you are processing.
- A change in the week, day, or time of the transaction.
- A change in the recipient of a transaction.
Our security tools builds a history of your behavior over the first several months of your presence in the Online Banking system. During this initial period, if you use the services we monitor (ACH origination transactions, domestic wire transfers and external transfers) you may receive higher than normal alerts and confirmation calls until your normal behavior pattern is established.
Yes! This online banking protection is free of charge.
We take your financial security very seriously. This is not an optional service. It assists in protecting you from potential fraud and greatly minimizes fraud risks. We respect your time and believe that a brief confirmation phone call is worth it to protect your account. It is much better to spend this time protecting your funds than the time it will take to reverse the damage done from fraudulent activity on your accounts.
If you have questions about these online security feature, please use the Secure Messaging feature within Online Banking, contact one of our local branches, or call our Branch Operations Department at 1-800-944-2265 or email us at https://www.sterlingbank.com/branchsupport.asp .
You may purchase a copy of the NACHA Operating Rules or obtain free, limited (read-only) access at www.achrulesonline.org. Visit www.nacha.org or the website of our regional payments association, The Payments Authority, www.thepaymentsauthority.org, for other resources and information.
On supported Apple devices:
- Log into the Sterling Bank & Trust Mobile Banking app
- Tap on Settings> Security Preferences
- Toggle the Touch ID button "On"
- Review the Touch ID details and click Continue
- Enter your current Login ID and Password and click Authorize
- Place the finger or thumb used for your device on the Home button
- The Touch ID button should now display as "On"
- Next time you use the app, utilize Touch ID to login
It's easy! You can call, email or visit your local branch office and you will be enrolled. For branch information, click here .
There is no charge for using Voice Banking.
You can contact a branch customer service representative, and we will be happy to assist you. For branch information, click here .
Voice Banking allows you to obtain account balances, transfer money between Sterling accounts, check the status of a check, verify the last five transactions or deposits in your account, check current interest rates, year-to-date interest earned and more.
You will have your own private password to access Voice Banking. In order to assure privacy, you must keep your password confidential and not write it down where another person can access it.
Voice Banking may be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Branch hours vary and may be obtained by simply calling your local branch office, Sterling's Voice Banking, or visiting our website. For branch information, click here .
Direct Deposit is a service that provides for automatic deposit of your paycheck, Social Security check or other recurring payment to you. For information about Direct Deposit, click here .
Complete a Direct Deposit form at your local branch or print one from the Sterling website. The form is located in the Online Banking link of the site under the "Other Services" tab. You may also contact your employer directly to complete any necessary forms.
Direct Deposit continues until you cancel it. You may cancel at any time by contacting your employer or originator of the recurring payment to you.
You can have interest on dividend payments or any other recurring payment deposited directly to your account.
A Sterling ATM card gives you fast, easy access to your Sterling accounts through ATMs and cash machines. Click here to see more information about our ATM card features.
Just complete a Deposit Account Application, which you can get from your local branch or request through email. Once completed, return the application to your branch or mail to the address preprinted on the application.
You should receive your card(s) within 7-10 business days. If you don't receive it after 10 business days, please contact a branch representative.
Your ATM card works in concert with other accounts and services offered by Sterling. This can save you a trip to a branch, and is designed to fit your lifestyle.
You should immediately call 1-800-523-4175 to report the card lost or stolen. Representatives are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Corrective action will be taken promptly to safeguard your funds.
You have immediate access to more than 36,000 surcharge-free ATMs across the country. Just look for the STARsf and Allpoint logos. Keep in mind that not all ATMs participate in these programs – so be sure to look for the logos.
You may apply for a MasterMoney™ debit card at any time. If you are approved for a MasterMoney™ debit card, you will also use it as your ATM card, and your existing ATM card will be deactivated.
Please contact a branch customer service representative to obtain your limit.
A MasterMoney™ Card is a multi-purpose debit card with immediate access to your Sterling checking accounts for purchases and ATM transactions. Click here to see more information about our MasterMoney™ Card features.
A MasterMoney™ Card may be obtained by submitting a completed Deposit Account Application for the card either through a branch location, or by requesting an application through the Sterling website.
After submitting an application to a branch or through the mail, a customer service representative will advise you of your eligibility for the card. If you are approved, the card will be mailed to you in 7-10 business days.
Cardholders can use their Sterling Bank & Trust MasterMoney™ Card at more than 2.3 million STAR Network ATMs and retailer locations throughout the U.S.
Yes, some merchants may give you cash back privileges.
Your cash and retail purchase limits are determined when your application is processed. You will be advised of the limits at that time.
If you think your MasterMoney™ card is lost or stolen, you should call 1-800-523-4175 immediately.
There is no interest incurred when you use your MasterMoney™ Card to purchase goods or services.
If you have forgotten your PIN, it is simple to select a new one that you'll find easier to remember. Please call 1-866-985-2273 and have your account information ready. Once we verify your identity for security purposes, you can select a new, easy-to-remember PIN. After your PIN is changed, you can begin using your debit card right away.
Certificate of Deposit
It is a bank product where funds are deposited for a fixed period of time at higher yields.
The minimum amount needed to open a CD is $500.00.
An interest penalty is applied for any withdrawal prior to the maturity date, except if the withdrawal is required as a result of disability or death of the CD holder.
When a CD matures, the interest is added to the deposit. You may then withdraw the total amount or choose not to withdraw the money on deposit. If you choose not to withdraw your funds, the CD will automatically rollover for the same time period, at the interest rate applicable at the time of rollover. The interest rate at the time of rollover may be more or less than the interest at the time the CD was initiated or last rolled over. You may choose, upon the maturity date, to add to or reduce the amount of money in the CD, and then open a new CD for a different length of time.
The maturity date is provided on the original document when you open a CD. You will also receive a written notice prior to your CD maturity date. As a courtesy, a Customer Service Representative may contact you by phone prior to the maturity date to notify you of the maturity date of the CD, and answer any questions.
Money Market (MMDA)
A Money Market Deposit Account, or MMDA, is similar to a savings account in which a premium rate of interest is paid on your money. You have access to your funds while in a branch, Online, with an ATM card, and with special checks for this account.
The minimum amount needed to open an MMDA is $500.00.
Balances below $500.00 earn the current Sterling Bank & Trust Checking Account rate. Also, a minimum balance fee will be imposed each statement cycle if the average account balance falls below $500.00 on any day during the statement cycle.
You may make up to six (6) withdrawals per statement cycle in any combination of withdrawals to another account of yours or to a third party by Online Banking, Voice banking, Automated Clearing House (ACH), fax requests, automatic transfers (including payroll transfers and overdraft transfers), check, debit card or similar order. You may make unlimited ATM and personal visit withdrawals.
To avoid exceeding this limitation, you may wish to make insurance, utility, or other recurring payments electronically from your checking account instead of your savings or money market account. You may also consider direct deposit to your checking account and then transfer to your savings account as funds are available.
Money may be added by depositing funds to the account at any time. You may also arrange for direct deposit of your payroll, Social Security check, etc.
STERLING EAGLE™ CHECKING AND STERLING FREEDOM™ CHECKING
Sterling Eagle™ Checking is a high-yield interest-bearing checking account that gives you both accessibility and convenience, with features that include an ATM or MasterMoney™ Card, Direct Deposit, Online Bill Pay, and more.
Sterling Freedom™ Checking is a free basic checking account which offers Online Banking, Bill Pay, and ATM or MasterMoney™ Card access with no monthly minimum balance required.
A savings account with Sterling Bank & Trust pays a competitive rate and you have fast access to your funds while earning more interest.
You have easy access to your funds in a savings account. You can make unlimited deposits, and you may even use your Sterling ATM card to access your savings account.
Sterling Hassle Free Switch Kit
The Sterling Switch Kit makes it simple to switch from your old bank to Sterling Bank & Trust. Use the Sterling Switch Kit to set up or transfer your automatic payments and direct deposits, and to close your old bank accounts. Just provide us the names and addresses of the companies that take automatic payments from or make direct deposits to your old accounts. The Sterling Switch Kit will generate customized letters for you to print, sign and mail! You can save your progress and return as often as needed to update your information or print letters.
The Sterling Switch Kit is a free service to all our customers.
After you print your personalized switch letters, you should attach a voided check or deposit ticket to any automatic payment/direct deposit letters. After that, just sign and mail them.
You must be a Sterling Bank & Trust customer, and have your Sterling Bank account number to use the Sterling Switch Kit.
Yes, simply click “Close Another Account” on Step 2, and a new form will appear for you to enter information on the next account you would like to close. You can also choose this option on Step 3.
Click on the Forgot Password? link on the Sterling Switch Kit home page, and enter your email address and submit the form. Your password will be emailed to you.
If you have questions regarding the Sterling Switch Kit, please call Branch Operations at (800) 944-2265 and we will be happy to assist you.
You can verify your direct deposit set up or transfer by reviewing the recent deposits to your bank account using Sterling Bank & Trust’s Online Banking service, reviewing your printed bank statement or calling the Branch Operations at (800) 944-2265.
Automatic bill payment is a convenient and efficient way of paying various types of companies (telephone, electric, credit card, insurance, etc.) for services or products provided. On the date your payment is due, funds are withdrawn from your bank account and sent electronically to the authorized companies.
Use the Sterling Switch Kit to create a new automatic bill payment or to transfer an existing automatic bill payment to your Sterling Bank & Trust account. Simly click on the Add Another Deposit/Payment button on Step 3.
Generally, it takes 2 billing cycles (30-60 days) to establish an automatic bill payment. Please plan any interim payments accordingly while your requests are processed.